It’s a great month for horror movies! Each month, I like to pick out the best streaming has to offer for fans of the paranormal. This can include straight-up ghost stories like “Insidious,” true ghost stories like “The Possession,” true crime stories like The Serpent (series), since those sometimes lead to ghost stories and historical movies like “Tombstone.”
Often the “See You on the Other Side” podcast Patreon community ends up hosting a live watch party or picking one as a “Movie of the Month.” Last month resulted in a fun viewing party for the two Cecil Hotel episodes of Ghost Adventures. If you want to join future watch parties, you can donate at any level, check out the link here.
Of course, if you’re a fan of ghost stories, there’s a chance you like horror movies in general, sci-fi flicks and movies adapted from comic books. It’s better to include more than less, so find all of them listed below.
If there’s a title I missed, please just drop me a line or comment and I’ll update.
Personally, I’m excited to check out “Trollhunter,” “Thelma,” “The Arrival,” (which I’m long overdue to see) and even the cheese-fest that (probably) is “The Skull” & “Motel Hell.” We got an advanced look at Hulu’s “Sasquatch” docu-series and we can say with certainty that it is worth the watch, even if you’re not into cryptids and Bigfoot. We’re hoping to bring you a little more content around this title too.
- The 6th Day (2000) – IMDb TV – Sci fi clone takeover conspiracy w/ the Governator
- 28 Days Later (2003) – Hulu – 28 days after a Zombie-like viral apocalypse
- 30 Days of Night 1 & 2 (2007, 2010) – Vampires in Alaska, where the sun doesn’t rise
- 2012 (2009) – Netflix & Hulu – Disaster movie, remember when everyone thought the world was gonna end at the end of the Mayan Calendar?
- The Abyss (1989) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – Aliens are discovered living deep under water
- Anaconda (1997) – IMDbTV – Creature feature with a creepy hunter
- The Bone Collector (1999) – IMDb TV – Serial killer crime suspense
- Bug (2007) – Hulu – Unsettling reality-bending insect horror
- The Butcher’s Wife (1991) – HBO – It’s a Rom-com, but it involves a psychic
- Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter (1974) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – Hammer Horror
- Casper and Wendy’s Ghostly Adventures (2002) – tubi – gotta include a little something for the kids
- Coneheads (1993) – tubi – Mildest alien invasion ever
- The Collection (2012) – HBO – Someone escapes a serial killer, but must return in order to save another abducted victim
- Cry Wolf (2005) – tubi – under-appreciated mystery thriller about a killer on a college campus, shoutout to friend, Kristy Wu, who is in the cast!
- D.E.B.S (2005) – tubi – sci fi/action/comedy about an all-girls-spy-recruit school, also horribly under-appreciated
- Dark Shadows (2012) – HBO – the modern take on the vintage vampire soap opera
- Dead Silence (2007) – HBO – a vengeful ghost, scores of possessed dolls AND it’s directed by James Wan? I’m in.
- The Dead Zone (1983) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – Stephen King ESP thriller
- Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist (2005) – tubi – the name really covers it
- The Gift (2000) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – a medium attempts to find a missing girl
- Gods of Egypt (2016) – Tubi – Action/fantasy, interesting for those interested in Egyptian lore
- Hancock (2008) – Amazon Prime – Another misbehaving superhero
- The Happening (2008) – Just taking the opportunity to point out that this is the worst movie ever made.
- Inception (2010) – Amazon Prime – Chris Nolan’s dream-within-a-dream epic
- Insidious (2010) – Netflix – Great James Wan supernatural movie. Equally great tagline: It’s not the house that’s haunted.
- The Intruders (2015) – tubi – What is the dark history of your new house?
- Irul (2021) – Netflix – Suspense/thriller, cat-and-mouse tension as strangers discover a body
- Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990) – HBO
- Leprechaun (1993) – Netflix – They were a little late on picking up the St. Pat’s Day monster movie
- Let’s Go To Prison (2006) – HBO – Not paranormal or horror, but it was shot almost entirely in the very haunted Joliet State Prison (also the prison from Blues Brothers & Prison Break), also you just may see me if you’re looking hard enough
- The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – Eternal life comes at a cost
- Minority Report (2002) – Amazon Prime – Philip K Dick’s tale of ethics amongst future cops
- Motel Hell (1980) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – slasher comedy, the other other white meat
- Moon (2009) – tubi – spectacular dark sci fi starring Sam Rockwell
- My Super Ex-Girlfriend (2006) – HBO – Another take on a superhero comedy
- Night of the Living Dead (1990) – tubi – remake of the classic, directed by Tom Savini
- The Possession (2012) – Netflix – Based on the allegedly true story of a dybbuk box that was sold on eBay. The box in question is now owned by Zack Baggans and was featured on a Ghost Adventures episode titled, “Quarantine: Dybbuk Box: The Opening”
- Premonition (2007) – tubi – Sandra Bullock has ESP
- Psycho IV: The Beginning (1990) – tubi – Anthony Perkins reprised his most famous role shortly before his death
- Raw (2016) – tubi – a little cannibalism to whet your appetite
- The Return (2006) – HBO – A woman starts having visions of a 15-year-old unsolved murder
- Road To Perdition (2002) – IMDb TV – Fictional Chicago Mafia story set in a true history, though not horror, it features several mobsters who went on to become real life ghosts
- Scary Movie 4 (2006) – tubi & Hulu – spoof of slasher flicks
- Signs (2002) – tubi – M Night’s crop circles movie
- The Serpent (2021) – Netflix – Suspenseful true crime series about the ’70s French serial killer Charles Sobhraj. Costarring Doctor’s companion, Jenna Coleman.
- The Skull (1965) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – Who woulda thought the skull of the Marquis de Sade would be possessed by an evil spirit? It actually reminds me of the TRUE story of a serial killer’s brain, which is on display at Ripley’s Believe It Or Not in Wisconsin Dells, WI. There is paranormal phenomena associated with it. Best way to hear that full story is on the American Ghost Walks tour, which is where I learned of it.
- Smiley Face Killers (2020) – Amazon Prime – this must take inspiration from the urban legend of a serial killer often associated with LaCrosse, WI, however the marketing material plays up a single person being stalked.
- So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – no axe murderer movie is more quotable
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006, Extended Version) – HBO
- The Time Traveler’s Wife (2009) – Netflix – Yup, it’s romance, but it’s also time traveling sci-fi
- Tombstone (1993) – IMDb TV – classic true story western, Tombstone, AZ may currently be haunted because of it
- The Unborn (2009) – tubi – possession
- Untraceable (2008) – Amazon Prime – another crime suspense about hunting down a serial killer
- Virtuosity (1995) – Hulu – mid-’90s virtual reality craze + uploaded serial killers
- Wer (2013) – tubi – werewolf story set in a contemporary setting
- White Noise (2005) – HBO – ghost hunting, EVP movie
- Blair Witch (2016) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – A continuation of the found footage folklore series
- Escape from Planet Earth (2012) – Netflix – CG animated alien family flick
- What Lies Below (2020) – Netflix – Sci fi/horror, mom’s new boyfriend ain’t from around here
- High-Rise (2016) – Amazon Prime – Dystopian future of a futuristic ’70s, some dark comedy
- Priest (2011) – tubi & Amazon Prime – Vampire-hunting man of the cloth
- Pulse (2006) – Amazon Prime – Wes Craven-written tech horror that Kristen Bell even self-made-fun-of in “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” (which is also available this month on Prime)
- Trollhunter (2010) – Amazon Prime – This looks like a riot! Norwegian horror about MASSIVE trolls
- Them, season 1 (2021) – Amazon Prime – Horror Drama set in 1950s LA, possibly in the vein of “Get Out” meets Lovecraft Country
- Thunder Force (2021) – Netflix – Fun, Female-lead, Superhero comedy
- Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) – Hulu & Amazon Prime
- Slumber (2017) – tubi – Demons who attack while you sleep
- Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant (2009) – IMDb TV – one member of the freak show is actually a vampire
- Crimson Peak (2015) – Netflix – Guillermo del Toro, Gothic ghost story romance
- Somewhere (2010) – Amazon Prime – Not remotely horror, but set at the very haunted Sunset Blvd hot spot, the Chateau Marmont
- Songbird (2020) – Hulu – Sci Fi thriller taking place during a global pandemic, these filmmakers apparently had a crystal ball
- Synchronic (2019) – Netflix – Gritty Sci fi, future drugs have even worse side-effects
- Thelma (2017) – Hulu – poltergeist case in line with Stephen King’s “Carrie”
- Sasquatch, Documentary Series (2021) – Hulu – In the vast wilderness that is California’s weed farming capitol, did an actual sasquatch kill three hired laborers? Crime mystery meets crypitd lore
- Let’s Fight Ghost, season 1 (2021) – Netflix – Thai paranormal fighting series, possibly for a teen audience
- Stowaway (2021) – Netflix – Someone’s snuck onto the ship during a mission to Mars
- Shadow and Bone, season 1, (2021) – Netflix – Dark fantasy, lots of monsters
- Battle of Los Angeles (2011) – Netflix – Alien invasion movie, takes inspiration from the real life military-UFO engagement known as the Battle of Los Angeles
- Arrival (2016) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – Alien ships have appeared around the world. Now how do we communicate with them?
…and if all of these movies and shows do their job, we may need Headspace: Guide to Sleep, season 1, which will be available on Netflix starting April 28th.