Each month, I like to pick out the best streaming has to offer for fans of the paranormal. This can include straight-up ghost stories like “The Vigil” true ghost stories like “The Haunting in Connecticut,” true crime stories like “The Sons of Sam: A Descent Into Darkness,” since those sometimes lead to ghost stories.
Zombies are more heavily featured this month with titles ranging from “Zombieland” and “Dead Again in Tombstone” to “Warm Bodies,” plus, zombie virus movies like “Rabid” and “The Crazies.”
There’s also a good number of family-friendly creepy movies (cuz you’ve gotta start ’em early!) including “Igor,” “A Yeti Adventure” & “Home.”
As usual, Netflix is killing it (pun intended) on the true crime documentary front.
Often the “See You on the Other Side” podcast Patreon community ends up hosting a live watch party or picking one as a “Movie of the Month.” If you want to join future watch parties, you can donate at any level, check out the link here.
Of course, if you’re a fan of ghost stories, there’s a chance you like horror movies in general, sci-fi flicks & comic book movies, so you’ll see a selection of those listed here too.
By the way, Tubi is all over the James Bond collection, so if you’re a fan of those, you’ll wanna check out that free app.
If there’s a title I missed, please just drop me a line or comment and I’ll update.
Personally, I’m excited to check out “Freaks of Nature,” “Astral,” & “The Vigil.”
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) – HBO – May be based on a true story. I’ll circle back.
- Alien (1979) – IMDb TV – the whole series is here if you know where to look
- Alien: Resurrection (1997) – Amazon Prime
- Alien3 (1992) – Amazon Prime
- Aliens (1986) – Amazon Prime
- Aliens Stole My Body (2020) – Netflix – Sci Fi kids comedy
- Angels & Demons (2009) – Amazon Prime – Illuminati & secret societies
- Attack the Block (2011) – Tubi – Aliens picked the wrong London neighborhood to invade
- Back to the Future Trilogy (1985-90) – Netflix – Michael Scott’s dates should be aware of this series if they wanna get anywhere (Office joke)
- Brazil (1985) – Tubi – Greatest Sci Fi film ever?
- Cloverfield (2008) – Tubi – POV alien invasion
- The Crazies (2010) – Hulu & Tubi – Remake of a George A. Romero film about a leaked biological agent in a small town that turns people a little wacky
- Cursed (2005) – HBO – Underrated werewolf flick
- The Darkest Hour (2011) – Netflix – Sci Fi horror where our power grid’s at stake
- The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008) – IMDb TV – Remake of the Sci Fi classic
- Darkness (Extended Version, 2004) – HBO – a family deals with a house with a dark past
- The Descent (2005) – Tubi – You’ll never wanna explore a cave after seeing this
- Exorcist: The Beginning (2004) – Tubi
- Freaks of Nature (2008) – Tubi – Vampire, zombies & aliens – how have I not heard of this comedy? Especially since my pal Tom Clark has a cameo in the trailer – shout out, Tom!
- Goodnight Mommy (2015) – Hulu – (subtitled) If the title isn’t creepy enough, this psychological horror explores a mother who undergoes surgery and returns more different than planned
- Grace: The Possession (2014) – Tubi – At least Lynn Shaye is in it
- Legion (2010) – IMDb TV – modern-day angels vs. demons horror-fantasy
- The Lovely Bones (2009) – Netflix – Supernatural thriller, murder victim keeps tabs on things from the other side
- The Da Vinci Code (2006) – Amazon Prime – Illuminati & secret societies
- Dead Again in Tombstone (2017) – Netflix – Tombstone + zombie + Danny Trejo = fun
- Hannibal Rising (2007) – The origin story to everyone’s favorite cannibal
- The Haunting in Connecticut (2009) – Hulu – Haunted House, based on the Snedeker case (Ed & Lorraine Warren)
- Haunting In Connecticut 2: Ghosts Of Georgia (2013) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – Haunted house, based on the Wyrick family case
- Hostel: Part III (2011) – Tubi – Torture porn
- I Am Legend (2007) – Hulu – Years after a zombie-like virus ruins earth, Will Smith is on the case
- Igor (2008) – HBO – Animated, family about Dr. Frankenstein’s assistant
- Knowing (2009) – Hulu – Sci Fi, can a mysterious set of numbers warn us of upcoming disasters?
- The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009) – Amazon Prime – True, adapted, based on the research of Jon Ronson, about secret attempts by the US government to use psychic abilities in the military
- Priest (2011) – Amazon Prime – Vampire-hunting man of the cloth
- Rabid (1977) – HBO – David Cronenberg-direct, Marily Chambers starring cannibal/zombie movie
- Resident Evil (2002) – Amazon Prime – Spooky sci-fi video game adaptation
- Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004) – Hulu, Tubi & Amazon Prime
- Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) – Netflix & Hulu
- Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010) – Netflix & Hulu
- Rosewood Lane (2011) – Tubi – psychological horror about a weird neighbor
- Scarface (1983) – Classic crime flick take Capone that brings him into the ’80s (instead of booze in Chicago, it’s cocaine in Miami)
- The Sixth Sense (1999) – Amazon Prime – Modern classic supernatural film, ripped off from an episode of “Are You Afraid of the Dark”
- Stargate (1994) – Netflix – Classic ’90s Sci-Fi
- Unbreakable (2000) – Amazon Prime – Underrated super hero origin story
- Vampire in Brooklyn (1995) – Hulu – Before he was Dolemite, he was a vampire
- The Wailing (2016) – Hulu – (subtitled) A stranger arrives as a mysterious sickness impacts a small village
- Warm Bodies (2013) – IMDb TV & Tubi – Just your typical zombie rom-com
- The Witches Of Eastwick (1987) – HBO – ’80s witchy classic
- A Yeti Adventure (2017) – Netflix – Animated kids cryptid adventure
- Zombieland (2009) – Netflix – Come for the fun comedy/action/zombie horror, stay for Bill Murray
- Hangar 1: The UFO Files (Season 2) – Netflix – UFO sighting documentary series
- The Clovehitch Killer (2018) – Netflix – Serial Killer mystery, teen in a small town wonders if his father could’ve been an elusive killer from his youth
- The Sons of Sam: A Descent Into Darkness (docu series) (2021) – Netflix – Netflix knows crime dramas!
- Little Fish (2021) – Hulu – Sci-Fi romance involving a memory-erasing virus
- Robot & Frank (2012) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – Comedy/Sci-Fi about an ex-con using a robot for his next heist
- Oxygen (2021) – Netflix – Sci Fi thriller in the vein of “Moon”
- Castlevania (Season 4) – Netflix – Animated series based on the vampire hunting video game
- Saint Maud (2020) – Hulu & Amazon Prime – Horror, a nurse becomes obsessed with saving the soul of a dying patient
- Haunted (Season 3) – Netflix – Reenactments of first-hand paranormal experiences
- Love, Death & Robots (Volume 2) – Netflix – series of animated shorts including horror and Sci Fi
- Move to Heaven (Season 1) – Netflix – (subtitled) Dark drama about ‘trauma cleaners’ and their relationship with life and death
- The Strange House (2021) – Netflix (subtitled, also translated as “The Scary House”) – Family horror about a family moving from the city to a haunted rural house
- The Woman in the Window (2021) – Netflix – Crime mystery that would appeal to “Rear Window” fans
- Astral (2018) – Tubi – Astral projection
- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World (2011) – Netflix – Last installment of the fun, family Sci Fi adventure series, this time with some time-bending elements
- Army of the Dead (2021) – Netflix – You’re in Vegas and the Zombie apocalypse happens. Time to plan of robbery, of course. It’s a Snyder movie, so expect lots of slow motion and for it to be very long, but it’ll be visually interesting.
- The Blair Witch Project (1999) – Tubi – The shaky cameras that started it all
- MARVEL’S M.O.D.O.K. (season 1) – Hulu – Patton Oswalt voices a super villian. All ya need to know.
- The Neighbor (season 2) – Netflix – (subtitled) fish-out-of-water superhero comedy with some Sci Fi
- Home (2015) – Netflix – Animated, family Sci Fi, an alien on the run hides out out on Earth
- Nail Bomber: Manhunt (2021) – Netflix – Crime doc on the hunt for a 1999 London serial bomber
- Eden (Season 1) – Netflix – Animated, family, human girl is raised by robots on an alien planet
- Lucifer (Season 5, pt 2) – Netflix – More from the satanic crime procedural
- The Vigil (2021) – Hulu – Set in the world of jewish demonology